Sunday, April 20, 2008

Earth Day-A Health Check Up for Our Planet

As the Health Gallery Coordinator, I've been concentrating on more than just human health.
With Earth Day right around the corner, April 22, it's time to concentrate on the "health" of our planet.

The Earth Day celebrations began yesterday, April 19th, at the Fairhope Pier. I had a blast with my coworker. We had a booth with small demos about how to prevent water pollution and reduce solid waste. We met TONS of enthusiastic festival-goers and learned about the variety of ways we could improve the health of our planet.

I met one agency, Daphne Utilities, who can turn my used cooking oil into biodiesel and glittering soap! I've already put my soap to good use and the free container I recieved from them will hold at least a month's worth of cooking oil.

The Earth Day celebrations continue this week!

I'll be at Spring Hill College on Tuesday, April 22nd from 3-6. SHC's celebration will include a live band playing acoustic music to save electricity, yummy food served in biodegradable containers, and plenty educational booths (That's where I'll be).

Friday, April 26th from 8-3:30, I'll be traveling to Turtle Point for Environment Day! This event promises to be entertaining and educational. I can't wait to meet with the local conservation groups. I had no idea how many local groups we have in our area. They will all be out at Turtle Point.

Both events are open to the public and free! So, if you missed EarthDay MobileBay yesterday, there are still opportunities for you to be a part of Earth Day. Come by our booth at either of these locations! I'd love to see you!

No comments: